It’s no secret that internships are incredibly important to jumpstarting the career you want in your desired field. It is estimated that over 60% of college graduates will complete an internship during their college career.
At Native, we are committed to providing an internship experience that is more than just getting coffee and scheduling meetings. We want to immerse our interns in agency projects so they are armed with marketable skills when they enter the workplace upon graduation.
Today we are interviewing Ann Pearman Blanchard, our current summer intern. She discusses her role at Native, her hopes for the future, and even gives us a glimpse at what’s playing on her iPod.
What college do you attend and what is your major? I am a rising senior at Sewanee: The University of the South and majoring in International and Global Studies.
What do you like most about your internship? I love learning about a variety of different industries and client types. I am always learning something new and exciting during each project I work on!
What is the most challenging aspect of your internship? That I have to go back to school in August! Just kidding… I think the things that are challenging are what make my job fun: that no day is the same and that sometimes the answers aren’t easy to find.
– Where do you see yourself in five years? I could see myself doing a few things: hopefully I’ll be working for a PR firm somewhere in the South. I would also love to work out West or live abroad at some point. I’m up for anything, but right now I’m focused on my last year of school.
– What is the song currently looping on your iPod? I’m usually flipping through the radio but I love any song I can dance to; my favorite is September by Earth, Wind, and Fire.
– What is your work mantra? Think outside the box. The right audience or angle isn’t always the first one that comes to mind.
– What advice do you have for other people trying to break into your field? Practice, practice, practice. When I started at Native last summer, I had no idea how to write a press release or a media pitch and was terrified when I was first asked to do them. Now I love writing them!
– What is your dream job? Today Show host, like Kathy Lee or Hoda.
– Describe yourself in three words. Observant. Engaging. Adventurous.
A snapshot of Ann’s workspace.